Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Random Thoughts (are you KIDDING me, Tuna?)


So I was taking the bus earlier today and it went past/near a baseball field where I used to play when I was a youngster. It reminded me of certain people and certain people reminded me of a certain story and that certain story, in retrospect, made me utter the words 'are you KIDDING me, Tuna?'

For those that are not familiar with the Office...well get familiar with it. But also, let me explain so that you don't have to watch three full seasons of it just to understand this post. Andy Bernard is a character on the Office. On one particular episode, a more central character, Jim Halpert, brings a tuna sandwich to work for lunch. This is the first day he meets Andy. Andy thus calls him Tuna. And because Jim is reasonable and Andy is not (the magic words come about two and half minutes in, if you click the link), Jim's actions occasionally cause Andy to incredulously exclaim ' are you KIDDING me, Tuna?!... generally with that emphasis and sometimes with a variation in word order. It has become synonymous, for a lot of people, myself included, with anything absolutely ridiculous. Anyways, there is your background. Now for the piece de resistence! (French for 'piece of a Klingon. I dont get it either ').

So when I was about 14, I played in a co-ed softball league, in which I was a pitcher. The league, while it had a rotating cast of supplementary players, had pretty much the same core players each year, which was a lot of fun. This also meant that the same core pitchers came back pretty much every year as well. There was the crazy windmill pitching kid who's name I can't remember, the kid who thought he was really good but was just awful, this kid Mark who some games was awesome and some games would just lose it totally and get smoked, and there was me. And then there was Amanda O'Sullivan, who I am still friends with. She was a girl, she was cute and she could PITCH. She was a year older than me, so some years, when we were between age levels, we didn't play together, but I always saw her around and had known her since I was small.

One game, at good old Wigmore Field, my team was playing Amanda's. At some point in the game (I can't remember when but I think near the beginning), I came up the plate and promptly drilled a ball straight back at Amanda and hit her in the ankle. I found out later that I broke said ankle and that when she fell over, she did something weird to her tendons or something. I'm not sure of the specifics. But regardless, her ankle was messed. I felt terrible.

So the next game, karma being what it is, I was pitching against some team and took a comeback myself, albeit not as bad. But it did hit me in the stomach and hurt like a mother. The head umpire of the league, a dude named Charlie, who I had also known forever, was joking with me about it later on and we were sharing comebacker stories (I know of one guy who took a ball in the chest and had a heart attack on the field.. but didnt know that one at the time) and I related the story of hitting Amanda the week before.

this was our exchange

Me " Oh yeah for sure. Actually just last week I ripped one back and hit this girl in the leg, she was pretty messed up"

Charlie "Oh, that was you?"

Me "Yeah it was pretty bad"

Charlie "yeahhh. that's my daughter"

Me "What? (immediately full of dread. Charlie was an intense fellow)

Charlie "Yeah, Amanda is my daughter. Her leg is pretty messed up"

Me "Oh. that's not good"

At this point, I had to attempt to hit. I am pretty sure I struck out and was rattled for the rest of the game.

You'd think that was the 'are you KIDDING me, Tuna?!?' moment. But it isn't. there's more.

So the next week, I am goofing around with Ryan, one of the younger umpires and telling him my horrific story of my run-in with super intense Charlie and he started to laugh.

Ryan "you're the one who messed up Amanda's leg eh?"

Me "yeah yeah. and it was the guys DAUGHTER. I was terrified for the rest of the game'

Ryan "yeah eh? well that's my sister"

wait for it...


wait for it....

ARE YOU KIDDING ME TUNA?!?

anyways, it turns out, in retrospect, that all the O'Sullivans are wonderful people. But at the time I was 14 or so and did not know them very well, except to see them at ball. and this was one of the more mindblowing experiences of my life.


anywho, moving onto other random thoughts...


Is there anyone other than me, who, when confronted with a crying baby, not like.. right beside you, but in your vicinity, closes their eyes and tries to send the baby happy thoughts? I did it on the bus today and I think it worked. I mean, I probably had nothing to do with it, but who knows right? Regardless, it made me feel like I had super powers and that's all I really want on a day to day basis.

I thought I had other random thoughts but I think that's it for now. Perhaps I will update this later on when I remember said randomness.

To finish up, I would like everyone who finishes this to give me their best 'are you KIDDING me, Tuna?' moment.

peace and love

1 comment:

  1. I think those "happy thoughts" should be sent to more than just crying babies!!!- once again you made me laugh out loud- excellent!

    ReplyDelete