Tuesday, April 7, 2009

But I Do Know That I Love You

Just a follow up to my previous post...

After talking to a few people/readers, including my lovely grandmother, I came to the realization that my post was written hastily and without complete consideration of how I might be coming across to those not familiar with my motivations.

I am not anti-philosophpy, per se.

I am just confused by it. I am confused why it is so significant in society and why people take such interest and comfort in it.

As my grandmother put it (I might be paraphrasing a little bit here) "your writing seems to lack a 'live and let live' attitude.

I must say, I never meant for this to the case. That is how I live my life, or try to, every single day. I have no problem with how anyone choose to life their life, as long as those choices do not impact those around them negatively. I did not mean to preach, although I guess I sort of did near the end. I was simply trying to generate discussion, as opposed to squelch the opinions of others.

When I disagree with something, I am not dismissing it. I am challenging anyone/everyone to make me change my mind.

If there is anything I do know, it's that nobody really knows anything for sure.

So I will finish this off the way I should have finished the first one... what are your thoughts on philosophy? Does it inspire you? Interest you? Do you find it deplorable?

I am interested to hear your collective thoughts.

4 comments:

  1. Woops, I guess I should've commented on this post, not the previous one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dano, to me, philosophy is as much a reason to wake up every day and use my brain as anything else tangible or not. I think maybe you were thinking of a narrow version of philosophy that extends only to the big books by famous guys who often write so technically that it stops making sense well before the 100th word in the 1st sentence. Anyone can be a worthy philosopher if he or she is committed to understanding.

    Anyway... maybe LIFE is simple, but the conditions in which we live (society) and the choices we must make (since they have consequences for others - I just don't buy into libertarianism) are anything BUT simple. Philosophy, like religion or poetry (to my thinking) is a way to help determine those values you spoke of just knowing. We aren't born with them, and sometimes the ones we're raised with don't matter in a changing world.

    Are you wise, at 23, to the way to live your life? I sure as hell am NOT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. and that's fair enough. I didnt mean to devalue philosophy for others. religion, as you mentioned, is an apt comparison. its great for some people, it's just not for me. that doesnt mean I dont understand how it could hold value for others. I feel the same way about philosophy. and yes, I do feel like I know I am wise to the way to live my life hahaha if I didnt feel like that I'd be going crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. but as I said, the only thing I really know is that nobody knows anything for sure. and maybe my mind will change, but I doubt it, in this regard.

    ReplyDelete